These 14 stats point to how Twitter is being used, who is using it and where the future of Twitter is headed:
2. 46% of users are on Twitter at least once a day
3. 44% of Twitter users have never sent a tweet
4. 500 million tweets are posted each day
5. 80% of active Twitter users are on mobile devices
6. Only 23% of all Twitter accounts are in the US
7. The average account has 208 followers
8. 391 million accounts have no followers
9. There are an estimated 20 million fake Twitter accounts
10. 29% of Millennials (aged 15-34) are on Twitter
11. 80% of world leaders use Twitter
12. 15% of Americans cannot access Twitter at work
13. Twitter supports 35+ different languages
14. Twitter can handle 18 quintrillion accounts
When you look at these facts together, the picture that they paint is that of two worlds – one is the group of the super active Twitter user who has a large base of followers and is on Twitter every day posting multiple tweets and the other is a group of quiet Twitter users who are mainly there to casually listen to conversations about topics that interest them. The first group is made up of people that are content creators and the second group is made up of people that are content consumers.
As a marketer or business owner, this is why you cannot simply gauge the impact of your social media efforts using hard metrics like the number of followers, re-tweets or favorites. You have to also look at softer metrics like site visits, time on site, brand sentiment, etc.
Lastly, these stats point to Twitter’s widespread international popularity already with plenty of room for additional growth. So, if your business isn’t on Twitter yet, you should probably get on board because chances are that it’s not going away any time soon!
Stats and facts compliments of Twitter and Extended Ramblings. Thank you!
Kate Pierce is the owner of LionShark Digital Marketing LLC, a West Michigan internet marketing company. Her areas of expertise include Paid Search, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media, Web Consulting for small businesses, Copywriting and Local Online Marketing. She lives in the Grand Rapids area with her husband and enjoys cooking, watching sports and spending time outdoors. Like a true digital marketing expert (i.e. geek), she loves talking about marketing theory and SEM trends… so don’t say you weren’t warned!