Part 1: Dominate the SERPs
When it comes to digital marketing, the key to success is dominating the Search Engine Results Page (SERP). By taking up as much room as possible on the SERPs you are effectively boxing out your competition. The number of times your company can appear on the SERPs depends on how many channels you’re utilizing:
1. If your site is well optimized and you’re dedicated to putting out quality content that people enjoy interacting with and sharing, your site can appear highly in the organic rankings.
2. Adding PPC advertising means that you can also have your ads show up for relevant search terms along the top or right side.
3. Running Product Listing Ads (PLAs) means your products can also show up in shopping results at the top or in the middle of the page.
4. Having a mapped location on Google Places means that when someone searches for something local your company can appear on the map on the right when it’s displayed.
5. Maintaining social media pages provides additional opportunities for your company to show up in the search results.
Therefore, in an ideal world, if you’re active in all of these channels, potentially your site could come up 5+ times on the SERPs. That doesn’t leave much room for your competitors!
Part 2: Being Wherever Your Competitors Are
Sometimes your competitors may make bad decisions, so you shouldn’t simply copy their marketing plans and strategy entirely, but the odds are that if you can point to several industry leaders in a certain place, you should be there too. This actually holds true for online and offline! Places that your competitors are coming up frequently provide opportunities for your company to get noticed as well. And in terms of social platforms and forums/message boards, you want to be wherever your competitors are because you don’t want them dominating the conversation.
Part 3: Going Where Your Competitors Are Not
Places that are relevant to your industry where you don’t see your competitors are excellent opportunities for you to carve out a place for yourself before space becomes scarce. Before treading new ground though, always be sure to do your research and make sure that your target audience is there as well so that you don’t waste your time creating a presence where no one is looking.
If you can master all three parts of that approach, you can win online!
Winning means beating your competitors, but doesn’t mean you have to do it alone. Join an online marketing team that can help you win – team LionShark!
Kate Pierce is the owner of LionShark Digital Marketing LLC, a West Michigan internet marketing company. Her areas of expertise include Paid Search, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media, Web Consulting for small businesses, Copywriting and Local Online Marketing. She lives in the Grand Rapids area with her husband and enjoys cooking, watching sports and spending time outdoors. Like a true digital marketing expert (i.e. geek), she loves talking about marketing theory and SEM trends… so don’t say you weren’t warned!